Grossglockner Spezial, Austria
Price from: £1479.00
A challenging Grossglockner ascent and trek through the Austrian Alps...
Climb the highest mountain in Austria on the Studl Ridge. Take time acclimatising on the lower glaciers and peaks of the Glockner range. Days are spent travelling on snow, glaciers and rocky ridges.
- Hut to hut accommodation
- Ascend the Grossglockner
- Scenic climbing route
- Highest Eastern Alps hut
- The Pasterze glacier
It draws climbers from near and far and its dramatic summit can be seen from nearly all of its approach routes. However, although it is a serious and impressive mountain, its standard route is not as difficult as Mont Blanc or Dufourspitze and, unlike both those mountains, it is a more feasible step up for the experienced UK hill walker prior to contemplating a Mont Blanc attempt.
The Grossglockner lies on the border between Carinthia and the East Tyrol; it is the highest peak in the Glockner group, a group of mountains along the main ridge of the Hohe Tauern. The summit itself lies on the Glockner ridge, which branches to the south off the main ridge.
Franz-Josephs Hohe - Oberwalder Hütte
Oberwalder Hütte - Johannisberg traverse - Hohe Riffl - Oberwalder Hütte
Oberwalder Hütte - Eiskögele - Schneewinkelkopf - Stüdlhütte
Stüdl Hütte - Stüdl Ridge - Grossglockner - Adlersruhe
Adlersruhe - Franz-Josephs Höhe - Salzburg
After breakfast you will depart Austria and fly back to UK.
- This itinerary is only intended as a guideline. Since we are travelling in high alpine regions, the programme can be adapted to suit changing weather conditions and individual client ability to ensure the group's full safety at all times.
Dates and Prices Info
Prices are based on groups of 1-2 people. There will be an extra £600.00 supplement if there is only one person in the group. We recommend taking an early flight to Salzburg, arriving no later than 10.30am local time. Please note that bookings must be made at least 4 weeks prior to the scheduled departure so that we can make bookings in the relevant mountain huts.
- Full event planning and client liaison
- Experienced UIAGM mountain guide
- Guides expenses (cable car, accommodation and transport)
- 4 night's half board mountain hut accommodation (bunk bed, breakfast, dinner)
- 1 night B&B accommodation in Salzburg
- Transport from/to Salzburg by car
- Big discount on clothing and equipment at Cotswold Outdoors and Montane
- International flights
- Airport transfers
- Travel insurance
- Lunches and drinks
- Single room supplement
- Mountaineering equipment (crampons, ice axe, harness, etc.)
- Additional costs if programme changes
- Additional hut fee for alpine club non-members
If you have any questions about this activity please do not hesitate to ask.
This excursion is suitable for experienced UK walkers who are in good shape and have a basic knowledge of alpine mountaineering. It includes a long glacier walk up to 8-9 hours and prior experience with walking using crampons is an advantage. The route also involves some short climbing sections up to grade III.
+44 (0)17687 75337